|This message below has been shared by the city of Phoenix Office of Environmental Programs. Please share with anyone in Phoenix who may in interested in attending the budget hearings to address climate change and heat readiness.|
|The last community-wide budget hearings are taking place! Please provide a written comment or register to speak to show your support for climate action. The deadline for budget hearing comments is April 20, 2021.|
The City of Phoenix 2021-2022 City Manager’s Trial Budget is out for community input. The Trial Budget contains proposed spending of $2.8 million and an increase of 14 positions to address Climate Change and Heat Readiness. These items are not guaranteed to be present in the final budget and will need your support.
View City of Phoenix 2021-2022 City Manager’s Trial Budget at https://www.phoenix.gov/budgetsite/budget-books/2021-22_Trial_Budget.pdf
· Creation of a new Office of Heat Response and Mitigation to include a Tree and Shade Administrator
· Greenhouse gas emissions inventory and climate action planning
· Additional Forestry Crew to plant additional trees in city Parks and update the city’s tree inventory
· Cool Corridors Program to plant 200 trees per mile across 9 project areas in each Council District for a total of 1,800 trees
· Program Manager and funding to continue the Emergency Food Assistance Program and to achieve the goals of the Council approved 2025 Phoenix Food Action Plan
How to Participate
· Register to speak at a Virtual Community Budget Hearing or leave a written comment (https://www.phoenix.gov/budget/hearings)
· Provide your funding priorities using FundPHX (https://www.phoenix.gov/budget/fund)
· Watch hearings on PHXTV (Cox Cable Channel 11) and online at the Phoenix.gov home page or on YouTube.com/CityofPhoenixAZ.
· Email Budget.Research@Phoenix.gov
For more information about the City of Phoenix budget process visit https://www.phoenix.gov/budget